Tuesday 11 September 2007

The Woodpecker and the Dragonfly

Living in this mental prison means I can get out more.

These last few days have been sunny and warm and so I have been eating my lunch outside on the lounger looking at Ingleborough.

Yesterday I heard a knocking sound and looked up to see a woodpecker inspecting the large tree to my left.

As I lay there and watched for a full ten minutes it climbed ever higher up the trunk and then along the branches, tapping here and there with its beak. What an amazing sight it was: beautiful plumage; intense acrobatics; one of God's wonderful creations. And I could watch it until it eventually flew off to try another tree.

A little later a flash of blue lower down near the hedge row showed me the trail of a dragonfly. Just a few seconds of blurred blue flight and it was gone. But it was no less exciting than the bird.

I hate having this depression but I am enjoying the sudden sights on the journey.

No comments: