Saturday 1 September 2007

Jobcentreplus Interview


I went to Skipton on the train from Ribblehead yesterday for a work-focused interview with an Adviser at Jobcentreplus.


It seemed more like a computer-focused interview to me. The woman kept looking at her computer screen, asking questions off it and occasionally deigning to look in my direction.


When the computer said "What sort of work are you likely to look for in the future?" at first I said "Well, Church work, I suppose."


Then I leaned forward towards the human being and said "But what I really want is to be a writer." Her eyes never flickered from their gaze at the screen and her face registered no interest whatsoever.


But hey, I picnicked in the Yorkshire Dales and took a train on the Settle to Carlisle line and I wasn't even on holiday. And I got the fare back.

No comments: