Tuesday 15 May 2007

Harrogate for a Fiver

I went Harrogate yesterday on the train, using a special deal on my Dales Rail Card. You can read about the journey on my brand new Public Transport Blog - Taken for a Ride www.taken4aride.blogspot.com. The number 4 is very important - only by using it can you get to this latest addition to the blogosphere.

So what did I find when I got there? Well, the first thing to see after coming out of the station was this magnificent, new building - the Victoria Shopping Centre. True to form in Harrogate, where everything, including even the car park, is of elegant architecture, this edifice was based on an Italian design by Palladio.

The next piece of neo-classical chic was the Conference Centre, now celebrating its 25th anniversary. Here is some of its splendour.


One thing that Harrogate always has is open space. This is called the Stray and was given to the town by the King in the 1780's. How do I know this, well I bought a book about the history of Harrogate in a charity shop, of which there were quite a few.

You can see the pavilion in the middle ground and the Turkish Baths in the background. The whole area reminded me of Baden Baden in Germany, which is also a Spa town.

This is the Harrogate Burgher's homage to Queen Victoria when she celebrated her Golden Jubilee in 1887. She looks as though she is going to fall over. "We are not amused!"

And after this you can see the Council Offices. Why the Council Offices? Well, they are a magnificent structure too, quite in keeping with the rest of the town.
The art galleries were shut because it was Monday, but I'd like to go back and see them when they are open.

No comments: