Wednesday 30 July 2008

Biking and Hiking



My mate Stewart Goudie from Edinburgh just wrote a blog about whizzing downhill on a bike being like life, and here's what I commented:

I love biking too and it sure feels great when you are whizzing downhill after straining up a hard incline. That's what I feel like at the moment, after going through a lot of depression and coming out into the light. But when you are flying downhill you have to watch you don't go too fast and come a cropper. That's why I'm going to get back into work gradually. Set off slowly and build up momentum is the best idea.

I have taken up biking over the last month or two and really enjoy it. I have been walking a bit more too. This has helped me in several ways. I feel better, because the endorphins get going, it is good for my physical health, and counsellors have told me (again and again) that exercise is an important way of getting to grips with depression.

1 comment:

Stewart Goudie said...

Hi Pete - Stewart here. Liz and I went biking again on Thursday, and guess what - I was going too fast! I went over a jump and couldn't quite keep my balance and fell over with the bike into the undergrowth off the trail. Fortunately it was a soft landing and both bike and I were unharmed.
So I encourage you to press on even if it seems a bit scary. Our great God is right beside you all the way.