Friday 1 August 2008

Job search



I feel like a new kid on the block. Looking for a job after all these months away from work seems a bit strange. But it was great to ring the personnel office of a factory and ask for an application form. It felt good to talk to the staff member at an employment agency, and to ask one of my old bosses for a reference. Maybe I do feel better about myself.

The most I can legally work at the moment is 12 hours a week. If I do this I can still get state Incapacity Benefit while I work myself into earning my own living again. It's a good idea.

I went to see the Doctor again today. He was delighted at my feeling better as he didn't know what to do for me next. It felt good to make him feel better. The roles were reversed.

I have learned a lot about the medical system while I have been making so much use of it. My first idea was to be passive and let the professionals tell me what to do. Now I realise I have to be pro-active and take responsibility for my own progress. It's daunting but more mature.

No comments: