Friday 22 August 2008

First Class

I am writing this in the First Class Lounge at Leeds Station. I am on my way to Peterborough for Evangelism Training with Through Faith Missions.

When I came to book the ticket I saw that I could book First Class at the same price as Standard. So I did just that.

It's quite plush in here - air conditioning, free coffee and munchies, free WiFi access, etc. I'll tell you what First Class on a train is like when I get on to it in a few minutes time.

This morning I was in Leeds Library looking through the births, marriages and deaths in Ingleton between and 1813 and 1823. It made fascinating reading.

On Tuesday I was in Preston Records Office reading the will of a man from Ingleton who was famous throughout the North as a puppet master. I found out what he owned - property and puppetry - and who he left it to - his second daughter.

Why not the firstborn son or his firstborn daughter? Well, from reading the Parish Registers in Ingleton Library on Wednesday I learned that this poor woman had been jilted at the altar by a man who had got her pregnant. No wonder her father left her all he had. What stories are hidden in those ancient documents!

No comments: