Thursday 7 August 2008

One Hundred and EIGHTY!!!


This is Post No 180. That reminded me of the English tradition of darts.

When the thrower manages to get all three darts into the triple 20 area the scorer shouts "One Hundred and EIGHTY!!!" just to let everyone know the highest possible score has been reached.

Just thought I'd let you know as well.

What happened yesterday?

Well, I took my first job application to the post on my bike and then went to the Library to discover my ancestors.


I use the Ancestry.com site. It is most helpful.

I followed the career of my great great grandfather, Matthew McCabe, as a printer in Edinburgh.

In 1841 he was living with his ma and pa in Toddricks Wynd just off the High Street and working as a journeyman printer.

By 1851 he had moved on to his own residence at 180 Pleasance and had a growing family of his own. He was now a Printer (compositor).

In 1861 I found him at 60 Cumberland St but this time describing himself as a Printer Overseer

By 1871 he was a Master Letter Press Printer still living at the same address.

I last caught up with him in 1881 when he was living at 1, Scotland Street and gloried in this description:-

Master Printer Employing 12 Men 12 Boys 6 Girls

I think he was rather proud of his progress. So was I.

I knew he was a printer and went into business for himself but to see his progress up the printing ladder laid out before me was quite an emotional experience.

We have two heirlooms from him: a writing desk which I have, and a walking stick which my father has. There is also a picture of him somewhere. When I find it I will post it here.

No comments: