Tuesday 5 August 2008

30 years ago today...


I married Audrey Brennand. It was at Ingleton Methodist Church (which appears on this blog as IMC). I want to thank God for the last 30 years. Some of it has not been easy (the last two haven't for sure) but it was all in God's plan for my life.

Just lately God has been taking me back over old ground and helping me find new life. I was saved in Australia in 1974 and I have heard quite a bit about Aussie and Christianity lately; I sang in a musical called Come Together by Jimmy and Carol Owens in 1975 and the Shepherds Choir recently began singing a piece from it. I went to Bible College in Berwick-upon-Tweed in 1975 as well. I met Audrey there. At CLAN recently the stall of the International Christian College, which grew out of it, brought back memories.

We got wed at IMC 30 years ago today and last night at the Monday Night Meeting we had prayer for our marriage. In 1978 we went on to study evangelism near Hastings and I will be going there on Mission in September. From there we went to Epping, Essex where I was a minister for three years. I went back there
earlier this year .

Since 1982 we have lived in Ingleton and for most of that time attended IMC. Yesterday I was at the church a couple of times and thought quite a bit about that wedding day but also about the future. Although IMC has changed out of all recognition both spiritually and physically it is still a special place for us.

Our children came along: Matthew in 1984, Emma in 1986 and Nathan in 1988. They each appeared at either the Olympic or Commonwealth Games. And what do you know? The next Olympics starts in Beijing on Friday, right on cue.

As I get back to my roots and take stock again, I pray that Audrey and I will serve him with even greater strength in whatever time is left to us. Do pray for us.


2 comments:

Stewart Goudie said...

Congratulations on your 30th!
May you enjoy many more years of married life together - and one day celebrate your 50th too!
Liz and I have our 30th next month.

Pete McCabe said...

Congrats to you too Stewart and Liz.

God bless you both.