Friday 18 July 2008

My yoke is easy

I am really tired today after spending yesterday in Liverpool seeing my Aunty's furniture being sold, visiting her in a residential home, coming home to make the tea for hungry lads and then going on with Audrey to Skipton to visit some friends.

I have a lot to do today as well because Audrey and I are off to St. Andrews Scotland for the CLAN Gathering tomorrow. So I began by telling Jesus how I felt and asking for his help. These words came to mind from Matthew's gospel:

"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. My yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

As I was praying and thinking about these words two images came into my mind. I have found two pictures to represent them.

The first one is of a yoke of oxen. These two animals are locked together with a piece of wood so that they work together in hauling something. The one cannot pull without the other.



The second is of an 18th Century waggon. These waggon horses are yoked together too.
This gives them more pulling power. Often the waggons were laid down with goods and passengers and were a heavy weight. But the yoking of the horses helped them to pull together.





That's what the Holy Spirit is telling me about today. Although I am tired from yesterday, and though I have a lot to do today, if I link myself to Jesus he will give me all the pulling power I need so that the yoke is easy and the burden is light, but it all gets done.

I'll let you know how today goes in tomorrow's blog.

1 comment:

Stewart Goudie said...

Nice pictures and good point.
Perhaps we'll see you tomorrow!