Thursday 23 August 2007

Unearthing treasures

Earlier this year when I was helping my Dad move out of his house into sheltered accommodation I unearthed some real treasures. I found a nice suitcase he didn't need any more, and a few other things. But the most precious treasure I found was a letter.



It is the first letter I wrote as a Christian. I wrote it from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, the day after I gave my life to Jesus. It was written one week and one day after I left England to seek my fortune Down Under. A lot happened in that week as you will read in the letter.



I am going to transcribe it for you.




3 Greenway Ave
Lenah Valley
Hobart
Tasmania 7008
22nd Feb 1974



Dear Mum and Dad


Something wonderful has happened. I have found what I came looking for. Not a job, not plenty of money, but God. Yesterday I became a Christian. I realised it was the Holy Spirit that brought me here to Hobart and I also realised that I just had to accept Jesus Christ as my Saviour. So I did. I cannot explain how wonderful I feel.


You will remember that I wasn't able to give you any definite reason for coming here. That was because I could not face the truth. Deep down inside I knew that God was bringing me here, but I was too embarrassed to say it. More than that, I did not really understand. It was the same at the Airport. I really did not want to go, but I knew I had to. Once I got here and the Christian Renewal Centre, I knew why I had come. I have never felt so certain of anything in my life. That was on Sunday.


One night I prayed with Mary until 2.00 a.m. On the next day I thought about it all day. The same the next day, and it gradually became clearer. Yesterday I went back to the Centre and professed my faith in Jesus. It was wonderful. I can face anything now, even death, without fear. Well, I suppose this will be a great shock to you. I hope it will be more of a wonderful surprise. What a week! To fly 12,000 miles and become a Christian! This will have given you a lot to think about. I hope you will write and tell me what you think. I must now write and tell Sheila. I pray she won't have a fit!!


By the way, I have also seen how much I take for granted from you. Thank you for all you have done for me, and will do for me. I love you both very much. I hope you realise that.


Love,


Pete

To explain: Mary is my Christian friend in Hobart and Sheila is my sister.

I had unearthed a precious treasure when I found this letter in my Dad's house, but it is nothing compared to the treasure I had uncovered the day before I wrote that letter.


See Matthew Chapter 13 Verses 44,45 & 46.

No comments: