Thursday 23 August 2007

Star Gazing


I spent last night under the stars. Not out in the open but as near as I could get.


When I skipped to the loo last night, as I often do, I realised that this was one of the few nights this summer when we could see stars. Not in the sense of dazed but gazed.


So I went downstairs into our conservatory (see Wikipedia article) and looked out. What a lovely sight met my eyes. We don't suffer from light pollution here and I could see a myriad lights above me.


What did I do? I opened up the blinds and lay all night on the couch gazing up through the glass roof. Wonderful.


These words came to mind:


When I consider your heavens,

the works of your fingers,

the moon and the stars,

which you have set in place,

what is man that you are mindful of him,

the son of man that you care for him?

You made him a little lower than the angels

and crowned him with glory and honour.


Psalm 8 verses 3,4&5


[God] took [Abram] outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars - if indeed you can count them."


Genesis Chapter 15 verse 5


Hands that flung stars into space,

To cruel nails surrendered.


Graham Kendrick


Funnily enough while all this romantic star gazing was going on I had left the bedside light on and it was keeping Audrey awake. I was completely unaware of this, the memory having been driven from my mind by starlight.


No comments: