Saturday 11 August 2007

Can't work, Won't work?

Last night I was amazed to open two envelopes from the Department of Works and Pensions. One letter announced that I had been awarded Incapicity Benefit and the other told me that the money would be paid into my account on a two weekly basis.



I was both amazed and thankful to find this out. Amazed because I thought I was still making my way very slowly through the application process, and thankful to God for providing this income.



But why is there such a stigma asociated with this?



I got two phone calls this morning telling me of a vacancy for a job I used to do - working nights at Jenkin Lodge, a residential home for three people with learning difficulties and physical disabilities. I did that for a couple of years when I first went to the doctor's with depression and it was really good until one night I suffered severe back pain which led to heart palpitations and to a short stay in hospital. I told both callers that I wasn't interested.



Am I embarrassed by getting Incapacity Benefit? No more so than when I was unemployed for 18 months after we left Epping and got Unemployment Benefit. I still see it as a way in which God is providing for our needs.



Why is work so important anyway? Why do we humans, especially men, get our self-respect mainly from work? Why can't we just be ourselves whether we can work or not?



I must read "Unto this Last" by Ruskin.

No comments: