Thursday 25 October 2007

Plusbus or bust!

I went to Liverpool on the train yesterday. My main reason was to visit my Aunty Mary who is in Broad Green hospital. The second was to try out Plusbus. This is a bus ticket you can buy with a rail ticket.

The idea behind Plusbus is that it gives you unlimited bus travel within a specificied area of a city in the UK when you go by train. But I had the notion that not all bus company employees would know what it was. The reason for this being that the idea is little known, and the ticket looks just like a train ticket. And I was proved right.

Because when I went to the Travel Information Centre in Liverpool the lady there told me in no uncertain terms that I could not use that ticket on Liverpool buses because it was a train ticket. So I then went to Lime Street Railway Station Inforamation Centre and they told me I could.

Well, I found that the driver of the first bus only paid a cursory glance at my ticket because he was wanting to set off, but the second one at first refused to accept it saying it was a rail ticket.

But when I gently explained what it was and how I had bought it, he inspected it closely and let me on. It was a good job he did because for most of the journey I was the only passenger. This was because I was riding into the city when everyone else was going home.

O, and my aunt? She's doing fine.

No comments: