Wednesday 11 July 2007

Grannie returns


This is a picture of my mother-in-law, Audrey's Mum, Alice Brennand, known to the family as Grannie. She came back yesterday after a long, long absence. By that I mean that her original character returned.
Let me explain. For the last few years she has been suffering from hypothermia. She had a very low body temperature which affected how her brain worked. This affected her personality too. She became passive and docile and very dependent on her husband Tom. Before that she had been bossy, nosy and wanting to get things done.
Well, she came back yesterday. I went to sit with her while Dad went out for a bike ride. Although she can't see now, boy, did she try and sort me out.
"You need to get a job, Pete."
"You could do this..that..and the other."
I had to say to her very firmly: "I know you find this difficult to understand, but I cannot work when I'm like this."
How funny life is. I thought how great it was that her character had come back and how very annoying as well!

No comments: