Saturday 29 December 2007

Books, books, books!


Over the last few days I have been lost in a couple of books. One is very new and the other very old.


The first is Fire and Steam by Christian Wolmar. It tells the story of the railways from the very beginning at the turn of the 19th century up to the present day. Well, the 14 November 2007 when I stood in St Pancras Station and watched the events which were celebrating its opening day. You can read a Times review here. I think it's great. A bit plodding at times, but I keep turning the pages.


The second is Bygone Bentham by Joseph Carr. It is a composition of several articles written between 1871 and 1896 on his memories of the village of Bentham. He was the Ingleton correspondent for the Lancaster Guardian for over 40 years in the 19th century and he opened up the Waterfalls Walk as well. These memoirs cost me a lot of money a few years ago but this Christmas I have found them to be worth every penny.
O and by the way my depression has been pretty bad over Christmas. I think it's the same for most of us who suffer in this way.

No comments: