Saturday 8 December 2007

IDC goes on sale

Yesterday I started trading. I had produced the IDC Booklet to go along with the Dickensian theme of the Late Night Shopping in Ingleton.

I stood on The Sqaure next to HL Gallery, otherwise known as the Pye family. They were giving away mulled wine for a donation, and I latched onto their customers. I told them they would be interested in my book, that I had written about five fascinating characters who had lived in the village in Dickensian times and that I would even sign the booklet for them so that when I became famous they could sell it for a lot more than it was worth.

It was fun developing a sales patter. I said the same thing over and over again, with variations according to who I was talking to. But each signing was unique. I loved it.

Funny thing though, during the day I was deeply disturbed mentally because of the strain of selling the books. I thought I would find it much more difficult to sell them than to research, write and produce them. But as it turned out that the sales pitch was as much fun as the rest of the writing experience.

The details of my best buyers are thus:

  1. Members of IMC
  2. Visitors to Ingleton for the weekend

I am happy to report that I sold 25 copies of Ingleton's Dickensian Characters and gave two out on credit to people I know very well and trust implicitly.

This morning my head ached profously when I got up but it was buzzing with ideas of how to sell the remaining number of copies.

Watch this space.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Done, Peter.

I'm glad to hear it's going well.
I would like to read about the Vicar!

Yours,
StewartG