Tuesday 7 October 2008

Poverty Trap

This road I am following on my journey home is full of potholes. I have fallen into one of them called the Poverty Trap.

To sum this up: it is possible to go from living on benefits to earning a wage and end up worse off. This has happened to me.

When I was not working and being paid Incapacity Benefit I was getting more into my bank account, and less was going out of it, than now that I am working.

This means I keep wondering if it was worth going back to work at all. I don't enjoy it. It doesn't suit me. I have to pay for fuel to travel the 20 miles in order to work four hours at a time for three evenings a week.

But the fact is that I felt God called me to go back to work and I have to be obedient.

These Bible verses have been helpful:

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2

"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." 2 Corinthians 4:17

No comments: