Wednesday 1 October 2008

Back to work (again)

Going back to work last week was not easy. I found I had forgotten some of the training I had been given the week before I left for Hastings. I got into a muddle on my first evening back and had to train again the next evening. Then I worked on Saturday afternoon and things went a lot better because there were not so many people working and I could go at my own pace without pressure.

On Friday I came across the details of an evangelist post on the South Coast. Having just returned from a successful mission there, and the job description fitting my skills, gifts and abilities I sent off for the details which came straight back by email.

The closing date was yesterday, so I started to apply on Saturday before going to Lakeland. On Sunday I went to three services - two at IMC and one at Bentham CofE. In the first, the children's message told us we should use our gifts and talents or they will be taken away, and both the other services included the message "Pray for the workers to go into the Harvest Field". I sent off the application on Monday.

On Monday evening I went with the Shepherds Choir to Kings Meaburn in rural Cumbria. I was leading the meeting and spotted the Methodist Minister, Phil Dew, at the back of the church. So I made up a story about him during the singing and told it during my talk.

To make a longish story short it spun on seeing him fall down and calling it a Dew Drop. Anyway, it worked. People were impressed that I could do that. And I was pleased I could too. I'm more skilled at that than what I'm getting paid for now. That's why I applied for evengelist job.

Watch this space.

2 comments:

Martin said...

Hi Pete,
Great to hear all your news - these are my first such blogs! So like your job, i tread carefully.
Where on the south coast was the evangelism job? Near Hastings any chance?

Pete McCabe said...

It's at a Methodist Church in Bournemouth, in dear old Dorset.