Tuesday 9 September 2008

I got through

Last week I got through a medical on Wednesday and passed through training and testing on a picking machine on Thursday. This is like a forked-lift truck and I had to go through a whole day of theory and practical training. It was awful.

The guy who asked me if I was lazy turned out to be a brilliant driver while I found it very hard indeed. At one point he took me on one side and told me how badly I was doing and how I would have to improve if I was going to get through. And he was NOT the trainer!

You can imagine what that did for my morale.

But I did get through, with the minimum possible marks. All I could think about afterwards was how badly I had done and what he had said to me. The fact that I had actually passed and would be able to go to work the next week paled against what he had said to me. That's what depression does to you.

So yesterday I went to work, and I ENJOYED IT! Only doing four hours helped, and doing it in the evening when the warehouse was not so busy helped too. But I knuckled down and did it, helped by a woman who was training me. Some things I got right and some I got wrong, but I learned along the way. And I am looking forward to going back on Wednesday.

Also on Wednesday I have an interview with someone at Jobcentre Plus about applying for Job Seekers Allowance. This is because I learned late last week that I am being denied Incapacity Benefit as the Government now feels I am fit to work. Well, my counsellor and doctor don't feel I am ready for full time work so I am challenging that decision. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Stewart Goudie said...

Pete, I'm glad to hear of your progress. God is blessing you and laying a path before you. The Lord's voice is always encouraging, unlike those who seek to drag you down. Don't listen to them, listen to Him!