Tuesday 2 September 2008

Back to work

I was quite nervous about going back to work yesterday.

It really hit home when the man sitting next to me asked me why I was only doing 12 hours a week. "Is it because you're lazy?" he said. Some people have no feeling at all.

So I told him it was because I was recovering from depression and then he said he was as well. We got into quite a discussion about it, and I'm training with him again on Thursday.

As far as what we did: most of the day we sat in a training room, went through paperwork and watched videos about fire, health and safety, etc. I was training with 8 others, most of whom were young males, and one token female.

There was a man about ten years younger than me who looked a bit jaded. He let on that he had been self-employed up to this point, so I guess he'd had to go back to paid work.

We had a look round the warehouse, with a guy called Dave who knew my son Matthew. This was because Matthew worked there at Lakeland when he got over his depression last autumn. I seem to be following in his footsteps.

I was given a works number, a locker and uniform. I am wearing in the boots at this moment. I get a cap with my name on. The facilities are pretty good, with a lunch area, internet room and games room. So I am starting to look forward to it.

Back tomorrow for a medical, and on Thursday for more training.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

fuck you and your fucking depression