Monday 28 January 2008

Voices of Old Ingleton Weekend

The Voices of Old Ingleton (VOI) Weekend went pretty well.

About 70 people turned up on Friday night to watch a slide show given by Malcolm Culshaw. He showed pictures of old Ingleton, including St. Mary's as it was before it was rebuilt in the mid 1880s, and more up to date ones like the building of Ingleborough Park. Ingleton National School featured quite heavily and I was able to give a brief explanation of how it came into being.


On Saturday morning I launched my VOI book at St. Mary's Church and showed people round looking at plaques and furniture, explaining which people were remembered in them.


On Sunday morning at Ingleton Methodist Church (IMC) I talked about three men who signed the Trustee Deeds for our church in February 1845. They were each from different social classes and from that I talked about the need to reach out to the poorer people of our community. I also pointed out that those who wrote about our founders all used the word "earnest" to describe them, so I talked about the importance of being earnest.


I think the whole weekend can be construed as a success. I already have ideas for next year.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Good heavens there's a blast from the past! Malcom Culshaw was a pal of my Dad's until he went back to Canada. Ask him if he remembers Bill next time you see him ;))

It's lovely to find your blog as I was born and brought up in Ingleton with some of my family still there, but I haven't been back for over 10 years.

All the best
Helen