Monday 1 December 2008

honesty

When people ask me about my life at present and how I feel about it, I tell them honestly. Often they finish the talk by saying something like: "I appreciate your honesty." or "Thank you for being so honest with me."

When they say that I think to myself that this is a code for "You've told me too much. A man should not feel like you do, and even if he does he should not talk about it."

Well that is how I feel, and if I'm honest, as I hope I am, I have to tell them the truth. Ah, but as Pilate said when he stared it in the face, "What is truth?".

3 comments:

Alison Service said...

Morning Pete,
I think you're sabotaging yourself going a few steps along the road of authenticity & then being defensive ( re your blog today ) - accept others comments re honesty for what they are & don't allow yourself to read anything more into them ( taking thoughts captive ) - it's your journey and only YOU can say how it is - I support you in your honesty - if others ask how things are then I think it's OK to give them both barrels
Alison

Pete McCabe said...

Thanks Alison

I think I do try to second-guess people and tend not to take what they say at face value.

I must be an old cynic.

Stewart Goudie said...

Indeed so! Honesty is the best policy, and we should assume it of others also (although perhaps with some salt!). So if they ask - you tell them. And then you can ask them back - and encourage them too!
Nice to see/hear you online again.