Thursday 24 April 2008

One year on

I went for a walk with Audrey yesterday and she reminded me that it was a year to the day since I told her I was giving up my job.

What has happened since then? Well, I have started this blog and kept it going, off and on.

I have had lots of counselling, from Lancaster University Counselling Service and the NHS.

I have started a business called Brook House Enterprises and produced three booklets about the lives of people who lived in Ingleton in the Victorian era.

I have also felt miserable a lot of the time and not understood what was going on in me and around me. But at the same time I have been exercising my faith to believe it was for my good and God's glory. Being depressed is hard to come to terms with, especially for a Christian.

This is because a lot of the messages you hear say "Rejoice in the Lord." It's like that silly smile that we used to wear in the 1970s which said "Smile God loves you". I never did like it.



But Audrey took me to Our Father's House in Lancaster on Sunday morning and during the sermon the preacher, Clive Corfield, said "The root of depression could be an orphan spirit." So I was first out for ministry and I am seeking to put into practice what Mark Stibbe says in his book "From orphans to heirs".

It's a long hard road, but I'll get there in the end. One year on, and I'm still not home yet. Why does it take so long?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pete, been reading your blog a long time now, thought it was time i left a message! Just wanted to you to know i spent some time in prayer for you this week. God is going to move in your life and bring about changes for the better. Watch this space. God fulfills all his promises.

Stewart Goudie said...

Hi Peter,
I admire your openness and honesty in your Blog. Thanks for sharing your search for fulfilment with us all.
Be expectant and be prepared. God's movement will require you to move too. So be ready to step up a gear and follow him.